Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Week Three: Downtown Al-Khobar

First of all, if you already read Rob's post, rest assured that he does not need to share the bidet with anyone...I avoid it, and the sprayers. The bidet in Jack's bathroom is actually a sink for Jack to wash his hands, if you ask him.

I had to return to a downtown hospital for more medical tests for our Iqama (resident ID) application, so I had the opportunity to take a few photos of downtown Al-Khobar. By the way, the hospital bathrooms had sprayers only, no toilet paper. Not like the toilet paper was gone, more like "why would you need anything but a sprayer?"

So here are a few pictures, in as good of quality as you can get through a bus window:

Yes!  I can decorate our house exactly like our Mpls house!
McDonald's, complete with a separate "family" and "men's" entrances.  Behind it is a mosque tower.
Toys Toys Store
Translation: STOP
Also, two stories from school:

1) You'd think children going to an international school would be a little more worldly...I overheard this on the quad while kids were talking about their summers. 
Student A: "I went to America for the summer."
Student B: "Dude, America's like a whole other country."

2) In study skills class today, I was talking about good habits and bad habits.  For an example, I said I have a bad habit of leaving things out instead of putting them away.  My students, who normally have a comment about everything, stared blankly.  I explained more: this is a bad habit because I sometimes don't know where to find things, and the house looks messy.  Still nothing.  I kept explaining. Finally a boy said, "But, doesn't your maid put the stuff away for you?" 

Next time I'll post some Jack videos.  

Love, Laura

2 comments:

  1. I guess you need a maid, huh? I'm looking for a job, Paul cooks well too. :)

    Time to start carrying TP in your purse, I guess.

    ReplyDelete