Monday, August 23, 2010

Week Two: School Begins

We just finished our third day of school (in case you haven't caught this, the work week is Saturday through Wednesday), and we are both so impressed with the students and the staff.  I for one am also impressed with the coffee shop in the middle of campus, where I walk in and the manager says, "Hello Laura, another caramel latte?"  Um, YES!  And a caramel latte is 10 Riyals which is about $2.50 so that is not too bad.  He'll deliver to my room so I don't have to leave my air conditioning, but that means he has to walk in the heat, so I'd rather just go over there myself.  It's not far, but it is very hot out!

Anyway, about the students...they are all so polite and motivated, and really smart.  True, it is only the third day of school.  The students have a dress code of a collared shirt and conservative skirt/shorts/pants.  They can wear any colors, it just helps to make them look "polished".  So I make sure to wear shirts without collars and high heels so that I don't look like a student!

About my job--I am developing special ed resource program.  The program has been, um, loosely run in the past and it is my job to make it work.  I have basically unlimited resources to buy curriculum and materials; the only difficult part is that everything is ordered from the States so it takes a long time. I am loving my job.  I have five students, plenty of time to work with each of them, and no special ed laws to follow---which means less paperwork.  I actually use my planning time to plan instruction instead of filling out pointless forms.  My students are all very sweet and very motivated.  Also, I am going to coach junior varsity volleyball!

Jack has been going to the nursery on campus and doing well.  He of course doesn't like when we drop him off, but while he's there he plays well, sits at a little table to eat with the other kids, goes to the gym, and has circle time.  It is an amazing daycare, and it is right on campus which is great.  He only bit two kids so far...


Now, a little more about our living situation:

An Nassim Village, our compound
I went outside to take pictures of the compound and my camera lens instantly fogged up!  I finally got some pictures though.  The kids are all out playing in the rec hall, playing ping pong and pool and wrestling in the library.  Jack has lots of playmates at home too!  Some of the kids from nursery are here, and older kids who love to babysit.




The pools and rec center on our compound
The area is very safe.  I took the compound bus by myself to go grocery shopping on Thursday night.  As Rob mentioned, it is Ramadan and nothing is open during the day.  Therefore the best time to go shopping is at 8:30 when the last prayer is almost over.  But apparently that is when everyone goes shopping!  The store was PACKED and crazy.  I was the only one on the bus so the driver waited while I shopped.  I thought an hour would be plenty but it took a full two hours to navigate the store, and I still came out with about 3/4 of the things on my list.  One overwhelming thing is that there are four or five men who unload your cart, bag the groceries (usually one item per bag....might as well use lots of petroleum), bring them out, and load the car/bus.  Then the driver helps you carry the groceries into your house.  I don't think I'll ever get used to that, or to being called "Ma'am" all the time.  Oh, and for those of you still wondering, I have to wear an abaya when I go out shopping, but not at home or school.

Well, I need to eat dinner before our Monday night Settlers of Catan game!  We are hosting this week so we can play after Jack is in bed.

Here are some pictures of Jack:
Playing in his new playroom with a neighbor
Jack and Daddy
Of course he still prefers Mommy and Daddy's toys...


Thanks for reading,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment