Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Week Three: Bidets and Bidet Sprayers.

I'm pro-bidet.  Like inoculating for Small Pox in the 1700's--they are a sensible, commonly used practice in the East that has failed to catch on in the Western world.  Bottom line: they've revolutionized my bathroom experience.  

The bidet in our master bathroom
However, I don't totally have a grasp on bidet accessories.  Next to our bidet there's a towel rack and a soap dish.  I assume they are meant to make bars of soap and towels accessible for bidet users. . .multiple bidet users.

Personally, I don't have any issues using a random bar soap designated for public use.  I'm straight-up gross.  That's been well established.  But I love my wife too much to expose her to any soap that I've contaminated.


In review: bidet--thumbs up, bidet accessories--undecided.


The bathroom in the staff lounge
At school and in other public restrooms, there isn't room for bidets, soap dishes, and towel racks.  Instead they've installed sprayers, which are similar to those you'd find next to your kitchen sink.   I'm pro-sprayer.  Again, they make sense.

Using the sprayer, on the other hand, is going to take some practice.  I assume it is a skill you have to develop from early childhood-like speaking Chinese.  My first attempt didn't go so hot.  Again, I won't get into specifics but it was a lot like that prank people play where they put a rubber band on the kitchen sprayer.  Basically, it was unexpected, hard to control and messy.


A close up of the sprayer


In review:  bidet sprayer--thumbs up but need practice.

That is all for now, I hope you've appreciated my deep insights into the rich culture of Saudi Arabia.

1 comment:

  1. I'd just like to address your incredible humor. Using "Bottom line" as an emphasis statement when talking about Bidets is amazing work! I have a question about the temperature, is it cold water, making it somewhat refreshing, or is it kind of warm so you're not certain how clean you might be?

    One last question, how do you feel about your colleagues not communicating this part of your adventure beforehand? Not that it's a deal-breaker, but not having the use of toilet paper is as much of a life changer as learning bladder control, or 115˚ daytime temps.

    ReplyDelete