Saturday, September 25, 2010

Saudi National Day

This weekend is Saudi National Day, so we have Saturday off.  I say this weekend, because I'm not clear which day Saudi National Day actually falls on.  In fact, no one seems clear on which day Saudi National Day falls on, but long weekends are still awesome.

Last night we went to the U.S. Consulate for a country western themed party.  We hitched a ride from our neighbors on the compound who also happen to be our neighbors back in Minneapolis.  It turns out they live about 10 blocks from us behind Calhoun Square.  I told my Mom about this coincidence and her first response was to ask "Oh! Do they need me to water their plants?"-which is another reason why I miss my Mom.  

I was able to borrow some cowboy boots from our other neighbor "T.G.W.G.S." (The Guy Who Gets Stuff).  T.G.W.G.S may or may not be a bearded drama teacher at the High School (I don't want to embarrass him), who also happens to have an encyclopedic knowledge of where to purchase absolutely anything you can think of.  He is also willing to drive you there at any time (day or night) on a moment's notice.  Furthermore, most of the time he's already anticipated what you are going to need and has those items in-stock at his house.  He's the compound's Cub, a walking Walmart, a personal Pamida. . .

So when I mentioned that we were attending a country western party, it was no surprise that he had a pair of cowboy boots in my size.

On a side note, he mentioned that he purchased the boots from Goodwill last summer when his teenage son was going through a "Cowboy phase".  I don't know why- but upon hearing the term "Cowboy phase" the following scene came to mind.

Scene: Father and son sitting at the kitchen table.
Father: "Son, we need to talk about the lasso I found under you mattress."
Son: "Dad-it's not mine!  I was just holding it for a friend!"
End Scene


Anyway, We got a sitter for Jack, Laura got dressed up and looked great, and I was wearing cowboy boots, so we headed to the party. As we approached the Consulate we were told to expect Coyote Ugly meet Mission Impossible.  It took nearly an hour to pass through the multiple security checkpoints, but on a positive note there were ample opportunities for body cavity search jokes.  In hindsight (ha!), I feel really good about my execution (something about unusually thick fingers) but my timing was a little off (crowded bus).  Although she wouldn't admit it, I think Laura was really impressed.

Once we arrived at the party we headed to bar.  The parties at the Consulate are popular and fairly difficult to gain access to because they have real beer and liquor.  The whole experience feels a little like being underage at a Frat party, but with better conversation and fewer keg stands.

We had a great time and chatted with another couple who also are from Minnesota.  The wife, who teaches at the elementary school actually attended Ramsey Junior High as a student!

On the ride home we actually got to witness a gathering of Saudis celebrating the holiday.  We drove past a large group of cars and trucks filled (inside and out) with Saudi men in thobes waving flags and celebrating.  When I say they were outside of the cars I mean the men were hanging out of doors, across the hood, and clinging to the roofs.  The majority of these cars were only traveling 10-15 mph.  But on the highway we were passed by two cars doing well over 65 with guys white knuckling the hood and roof to hold on.  I don't see the connection holding on to the hood of your buddy's car while he's doing 70 and pride in your country, but I guess fireworks on the 4th of July don't make a lot of sense either.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Go Twins!
Rob

1 comment:

  1. Too bad Laura couldn't have borrowed my boots!!! I had some. :) Anyway, glad you all got to get over there. It is fun at times. Also, glad you got to see Saudi's celebrating. I remember the first time I saw that too. Hilarious!!!
    Tiff

    ReplyDelete