Friday, January 7, 2011

Desert Adventures - Part 3

After we had our fill of camel riding and collected enough desert roses, we packed up the cars and headed back through the desert.  We quickly came across the make-shift camel farm where our Sudanese friend made his home.  Another man, I assume his brother, was there so we stopped.  The cars were immediately surrounded by camels!







The camels were so friendly.  We fed them the leftover veggies from our lunch, and they nibbled at our ears.  They really do have long eyelashes and their noses open and close to keep the sand out.



We found out that the man's name was Ali.  Our friend Catherine spoke to him in Arabic and he asked if we want to see the baby camels.  Of course we did.  And they were adorable...



Then he asked if we wanted to try camel milk!  Yes, yes, yes!

He had the baby in the picture above start to drink, and then milked from the other side.



I was the first to try the milk...it was warm, frothy, and sweet.  Amazing.




Jack kept asking for more...he took four drinks and had an adorable frothy camel milk mustache that I unfortunately couldn't capture on film.

Ali sent the rest of the milk home with us in a plastic bag.  The next day my dad had a glass of the milk at dinner and we used the rest for camel milkshakes.



And that concludes our desert adventures.  As I said, it was the best day I've had so far in Saudi, because it was unexpected and authentic.  This is the stuff we moved here for.

P.S. Have you ever wondered what sound camels make?  Wonder no more...my dad said they are the first baby animal he's ever seen that doesn't make a cute noise.



2 comments:

  1. Catherine let me borrow her camera to record the "ruckus" I hear myself giggling in the background. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete